Welcome to my profile site. This page will share a quick summary of my resume, please feel free to click on the relevant links for the details. If you want to just download the one page PDF resume, click the button below.
Address: Chief of Optometry, SBC
Kaiser Permanente Fontana
9961 Sierra Ave, Fontana, CA 92335
Munish Sharma, MD OD MBA FAAO is TLG certified optometrist and U.S. fellowship trained Ophthalmologist who joined Kaiser Permanente as Chief of Optometry for San Bernardino County Service Area in 2018. He completed his medical school and residency in Ophthalmology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences at New Delhi in India. He subsequently completed the fellowship in Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD and in Pediatric Ophthalmology at Children’s Hospital in Washington, DC. He has completed the fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Boxer Wachler Vision Institute in Beverly Hill, CA and UCI.
He completed Optometry Training at SUNY College of Optometry, New York, and residency in Refractive and Ocular Surgery/ Ocular Disease at Omni Eye Services of New Jersey.
His area of interest has been diverse in Ocular Disease including Intacs, Corneal Crosslinking, Adjustable Strabismus Surgery and Higher Order Aberrations following LASIK surgery. He has been course leader/instructor of record for three courses in ocular disease: posterior segment, ocular manifestations of systemic disease and advanced procedures at the Western University of Health Sciences.
Experienced clinician and dynamic leader who builds and promotes the culture of quality, safety, efficiency and collaboration. Collaborate across organizations to create standardized platforms of care delivery. Cogent communicator with advanced technological acumen coupled with a strategic planning, human resource development, and operations management foundation. Areas of expertise and interest include:
• Patient Throughput & Satisfaction
• Operational Efficiencies
• Healthcare Strategy
• Customer experience & service excellence
• Organizational Planning
• Risk Mitigation
• Quality Compliance
• Collaborative clinical & Administrative functions
• Provider Alignment
• Evidence Based Care
• Technological Adaptations
• Community Outreach
• Coordinates central planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all the Optometry programs within San Bernardino County.
• Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
• Develops and implements programs of peer review and in service education.
• Participates in short and long range planning for improving delivery accessibility of service in the Optometry department.
• Provides comprehensive vision services case management to members.
• Responsible for the coordination of the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of Optometry and departmental policies, clinical practice agreements and quality assurance program
• Assistant Professor, College of Optometry
• Clinical care and clinical education in multi-specialty academic optometric practice.
• Course Leader for Posterior Segment, Systemic Disease and Eye, Advanced Procedures in Optometry
• Evaluation, adaptation and training as super-user for Epic EMR at the Eye Care Institute
• Moderated development of Glaucoma Clinic in collaboration with the Kaiser Permanente
• Moderated development of Retina Clinic in collaboration with the Retina Institute of California• Chair, Student Performance Committee
• Academic Technology Partnership Committee
• College of Optometry representative at the University Academic Senate
• Academic Support Services and Planning Committee
Check details at WesternU at the dedicated page here
• Collaborative care in Multi-Specialty Multi-location OD-MD combined practice in NJ-NY area
• Multi-location scheduling of Optometric Externs, Optometry and Ophthalmology attending physicians
• Evaluation, setup, adaptation and training of NextGen EMR
• Clinical education and hands-on training of Optometry Students
• Clinical Care in Academic Community Hospital based Ophthalmic multi-specialty Practice
• Setting up of Ophthalmic device integration, backup and test result visualization with ANKA systems
• Evaluation, setup, training of EMR including paper to digital transition
• Clinical fellow in Academic/University Hospital based Pediatric Ophthalmology Practice
• Besides Strabismus, provided cares in various other pediatric ophthalmology conditions including nasolacrimal duct occlusion, congenital cataract, ptosis, genetic eye diseases and ROP etc.
• Clinical fellow in Academic/University Hospital based Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus Practice
• Besides Strabismus, provided cares in various other pediatric ophthalmology conditions including genetic eye diseases and ROP
• Clinical fellow in Cornea and Refractive Surgery at a Private Practice
• Besides refractive procedures, trained in Intacs, Corneal Collagen Cross Linking
• Ophthalmology Resident at #1 Ophthalmology residency program in Multi-Specialty Academic University Program and Referral Center
• Chief of the Ophthalmic Research Association
• Co-Founder of Pryatna: students’ initiative for patient education and guidance.
Fellow: 2012 - Present
Evidence Based Optometry Committee: 2015-Present
Delegate: 2014- Present
Communication/IT Chair: 2015
Consultant 2015 - Present
Member Society of Science and ISEF 2017, 2018, 2021 Judge
Leadership Exceptional Achievement Distinction 2023
is the highest Award for leadership in Kaiser Medical Center by SCPMG Seniot Leadership
For top #1 GPA in class for UCI HCEMBA 2019
2021:This award is given to California Physicians and Staff by their colleagues and senior leaders for a high quality work, kindness, and community involvement.
For being in top 12% in HCEMBA class of 2019 in UCI
2019 recognizes the young doctors’ contributions to the profession of optometry, local community and sharing knowledge through published research.
For being top 20% in HCEMBA 2019 UCI MBA class
For distinguished services to Optometry and Eye Care from American Optometric Association 2015
By Aiimsonians of America for services to the association at Annual Meeting in Pheonix, AZ 2017
Student Award at American Academy of Optometry meeting at Seattle, WA 2013
Represented SUNY in Prestigious Varilux Student Bowl at Optometry’s Meeting in Chicago 2012
By Students and Administration at the Western University of Health Sciences 2016
including Graduate Diversity scholarship, Alcon’s Academy for Eye Care Excellence, Allergan AOSA Travel Grant for Essay on Dry Eye Management
Health Care Executive MBA
Residency (Refractive & Ocular Surgery/Ocular Disease)
Doctor of Optometry
Fellowship (Pediatric Ophthalmology)
Fellowship (Pediatric Ophthalmology & Adult Strabismus)
Fellowship (Cornea and Refractive Surgery)
MB,BS (Medical School)
Hybrid Application development as part of Concussion Sideline Screening Service Project with Pomona Unified School District and Tri-City Mental Health Center, Pomona, CA
Co-Investigator: Maestro 4 Topcon Normative Database study for FDA approval Jan 2015- completion
Co-Investigator in IRB approved clinical study on “Adjustable muscle surgery in pediatric patients” at Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University Medical Institution, Baltimore, MD 2006
Co-Investigator in clinical study “Comparison of single-segment and double-segment Intacs for keratoconus and post-LASIK ectasia” at Boxer Wachler Vision Institute, Beverly Hills, CA 2005
Co-Investigator in clinical study “Effect of inferior-segment Intacs with and without C3-R on keratoconus” at Boxer Wachler Vision Institute, Beverly Hills, CA 2005
Co-Investigator in clinical study “Corneal Collagen Cross-linking with Riboflavin for Keratoconus and Lasik-Induced Ectasia at Boxer Wachler Vision Institute, Beverly Hills, CA 2005
Almost two dozen research papers, presentations and posters at various national and international ophthalmology and optometry meetings and publications.
Invited Guest Lecture and Continued Education Speaker at over dozen regional, national and international meetings.
For more details of research projects chgeck the Westernu Page
Munish Sharma, MD OD FAAO
Chief of Optometry
San Bernardino County Service Area
Kaiser Permanente of Southern California
9961 Sierra Ave. MOB 4, Fontana CA 92335
Phone: (909) 427-4452 Fax: (909) 427-7668